Some won’t be able to file till Late Feb

Filing 2012 Tax Returns

Because of the need for more extensive form and processing systems changes people claiming residential energy credits, depreciation of property or general business credits won’t be able to start filing until late February or into March.

If you are self employed these delays will probably affect you!

The IRS says: Most of those in this group file more complex tax returns and typically file closer to the April 15 deadline or obtain an extension.

The IRS originally planned to open electronic filing this year on Jan. 22 but has now pushed it back to January 30th

The IRS anticipates that the vast majority of all taxpayers can file starting Jan. 30, regardless of whether they file electronically or on paper.

The IRS will be able to accept tax returns affected by the late Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) patch as well as the three major “extender” provisions for people claiming the state and local sales tax deduction, higher education tuition and fees deduction and educator expenses deduction.

The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on here the IRS website.